Johnson's Campground Camping Cabins

General Lodging information.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Deb1741
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Johnson's Campground Camping Cabins

Post by Deb1741 »

When my grandson and I decided to try for a advance backpacking permit I decided to reserve a camping cabin at Johnson's for the 4 nights before the planned backpacking trip so we could spoil ourselves a little. I wasn't able to get cabin 1 for all 4 nights so split cabin 1 ($60 a night) for 2 nights and cabin 2 ($75 a night) for 2 nights.

Cabin 2 had 3 bunk beds in it so could sleep 6. With tax, I think it was a little over $80 a night. We really liked it. Both cabins had a huge attached covered deck where we did all our cooking. It was really nice to be able to keep all our gear in the cabin instead of packing it in and out of the car like you have to do while tent camping. Cabin 1 had 1 bunk bed and a full size bed. All beds in both cabins had a 3 inch mat on it which were comfortable to sleep on (the full bed had 2 mats side-by-side). I slept very good on both beds. Cabin 1 was older and a little more dingy but was adequate.

Cabin 2 pics. (I didn't take any of Cabin 1)

The bathroom/shower facility is right behind both cabins, maybe about a 150 foot walk at the most. A shower token per person per night is included with your reservations and lasted for 6 minutes. We had a 3 tokens left over from last year so ended up not having to buy any more tokens. One time I used 2 tokens but actually ended up with lots of time left where I just stood and let the water come down on me. The main shower facility in the check-in building is better and was never busy when I was there so is worth the drive to if you don't want to wait for a shower to open up during a busy time.

When I didn't get the advance backpacking permit, my grandson and I decided not to try for a walk-up permit and take the opportunity to go up to Waterton Lakes Park in Canada instead. I reserved 3 nights tent-camping site at Waterton Springs Campground. The last day we decided to pack up and come back to Glacier and try to get a tent site at Johnson's. I asked for campsite 44 as it was behind the cabins in a very nice, secluded area (no other sites by it). We were able to get it and it is now my favorite tent site at Johnson's. It is about 100 feet from the bathroom via a path through the trees/bushes. You can see one campsite through the trees and the back of Cabin 2 but other than that it is secluded.
Deb
Deb
"There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast" ~ unknown
"Today is your day, your mountain is waiting, so get on your way" ~ Dr. Suess
Stmarypete
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male

Re: Johnson's Campground Camping Cabins

Post by Stmarypete »

Very nice review. May have to try them out. We camp at Johnson's in tents usually, but the cabin could be handy for many reasons.
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Re: Johnson's Campground Camping Cabins

Post by Selkie »

Yes, thank you for the review and photos of Johnson's, and of Waterton as well. I have not tented or cabined at either, so this is great info!

Return to “Lodging”