Favorite BC Campsites

Let everyone know about your camping experience in the park.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

PBRmeASAP
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Favorite BC Campsites

Post by PBRmeASAP »

Has anyone stayed at Atlanta Creek (ATL)? We're thinking of staying there 1 or two nights and climbing Triple Divide Mnt.
wnysteve
Donator
Donator

Post by wnysteve »

PBRmeASAP wrote:Has anyone stayed at Atlanta Creek (ATL)? We're thinking of staying there 1 or two nights and climbing Triple Divide Mnt.
ATL is ideal for what you are planning. It's in less demand due to the limited views from its location. But it's close to the creek, for a convenient water source.
Marmotman

Post by Marmotman »

Ditto on that for views and water. Not very scenic but its the closest to the pass. Another possible option would be to snag an off-trail permit and camp up on the saddle between Razeredge and Triple Divide Peak. You could bag Norris then also. There's no liquid water up there but there is snow.
PBRmeASAP

Post by PBRmeASAP »

Cool. Thanks for the advice. What are you thoughts on Mt. James vs. Triple Divide? We thought the geological aspect of triple divide was pretty cool. But then I looked at Mt. James which is also easily accessible from ATL and now I'm torn.
Marmotman

Post by Marmotman »

How about both? :shock:
I've done both and if I had the choice of one or the other I'd do Triple. Mainly for the geography part of it. James is more or less just a walk up; great views, yes, but just a walk.
Matt S.

Post by Matt S. »

Atlantic Creek is just fine. While you are in the trees, its just a hop and skip from open country and its a nice campground, camped there last year along with Morningstar. Trip up to Triple Divide Pass is 1 hr and is open most of the way. You should try both campgrounds, then when you stay at Morningstar, you can climb up to Pitamakan Pass (great scenery thru here) and tackle some of the mountain peaks in that area. The climb from Morningstar to Pitamakan Pass is about 1-1.5 hrs. depending if you stop for pictures, ect. The hike in from Cut Bank campground is very nice. 8) 8) . Great trip, will do it again. 8)
distressbark

Post by distressbark »

Spent a glorious night at Harrison Lake on 08/26/12. The three campsites are probably 100-200 feet uphill from the lake shore and and are heavily forested and quite small. However, there is a wonderful beach area that provided our group with an awesome spot to spend the late afternoon and early evening hours. The lake bottom drops of substantially immediately off the shore, so it's a great place to swim. Lots of birds and trout spotted over the course of two days. Hope to go back again this year and make an attempt on Mount Thompson.

Jen

Post by Jen »

I was just watching Hike734's video of the route to Camas lake. It sounds like a total slog but I am a bit intrigued. Has anyone camped back there? Or Arrow lake?
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

Jen wrote:I was just watching Hike734's video of the route to Camas lake. It sounds like a total slog but I am a bit intrigued. Has anyone camped back there? Or Arrow lake?
I think the whole Camas drainage is great. Nice forest scenery, great lakes, what more could you want? The hike over the micropass from Lake McDonald can be a bit warm in the afternoon, and cow parsnip between Arrox and Camas is quite impressive.

Camas is a great campsite. Arrow is even better, though watch for the Devils Club in the campground. The hike south from Trout to the Inside Road is very nice. Excellent meadows in the southernmost 5 miles. The creek crossing below Trout is one of the more dangerous in the park, fast and with a nasty cobbled bottom. However, it is possible (and actually easy, if cold) to wade and swim across the foot of Trout Lake 50 yards above the start of the creek.
pitamakan

Post by pitamakan »

Jen wrote:I was just watching Hike734's video of the route to Camas lake. It sounds like a total slog but I am a bit intrigued. Has anyone camped back there? Or Arrow lake?
I met Jake from hike734 a couple weeks ago, and during our conversation he told me that he thought the upper Camas drainage was just about the creepiest place he visited during that entire hike marathon. :)
nunatak

Post by nunatak »

Glenns Lake Head has a great beach and nice views. It's also handy for an after-dinner scoot to Mokowanis Lake.
Heff936
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by Heff936 »

I agree the Glenns Lake head is a pretty nice camp. It's more open and as a result, catches more breeze to keep the bugs down than the other camps at the head of the valley. I like MOL because of its access to Margaret Lake and even more because of the great hangout spot on a little promontory that you access via a small trail a few hundred feet up from the camp. As long as you don't get stuck at the junction, either GLH or MOL are good choices in that end of the drainage.

Heff
Fairbanks142
Donator
Donator

Post by Fairbanks142 »

pitamakan wrote:I met Jake from hike734 a couple weeks ago, and during our conversation he told me that he thought the upper Camas drainage was just about the creepiest place he visited during that entire hike marathon.
Any specifics on why he thought it was creepy? Otherwise any speculation?
pitamakan

Post by pitamakan »

Fairbanks142 wrote:
pitamakan wrote:I met Jake from hike734 a couple weeks ago, and during our conversation he told me that he thought the upper Camas drainage was just about the creepiest place he visited during that entire hike marathon.
Any specifics on why he thought it was creepy? Otherwise any speculation?
Though he didn't see any large wildlife, I think his Spidy-sense was telling him that there were large, toothsome creatures lurking behind every shrub, watching him ... :)

I've had the same sensation during my visits to Trout Lake, probably because I've read Night of the Grizzlys once too often.
Jen

Post by Jen »

pitamakan wrote: probably because I've read Night of the Grizzlys once too often.
This is what my mind would be dwelling on!

Return to “Camping”