packing poles for flight

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

jennymac
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

packing poles for flight

Post by jennymac »

How do you fly with your trekking poles?

I haven't flown since you have to pay for bags, and I haven't ever flown with trekking poles. :? They don't fit in my biggest bag. Am I gonna need to buy a bigger one (by flight time Friday)? Or do you carry them on the plane? In something? Are they weapons? Yikes! I've got packing angst!!! :oops:
poky5mom
Donator
Donator

Re: packing poles for flight

Post by poky5mom »

do your trekking poles collapse down at all? We made ours as small as they could go and they fit into out suitcase fine - we didn't have any issue with the airlline with them
I have seen other people bring really big things onto the plane that wouldn't fit into their suitcases - guitars, tennis rackets - I don't know if yours would fit into the overhead bins?
Kim
toddnick
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by toddnick »

If you know anyone with a golf club bag use that; it's what I use, even though I don't use hiking poles, it fits my camp chair so I put all my camping gear in it.

It holds as least as much volume as a large suitcase!!!!
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

Although it won't help in your situation since you already have your poles, the length of poles when collapsed is an important factor to consider when buying poles. My Leki poles are three section and collapse to 25-1/2 inches. Quite easy to pack. My wife has some Life-Link Teton Backcountry poles which are two section and collapse to 30-1/2 inches. They are a bit more difficult to pack.

Lyman
jennymac

Post by jennymac »

Oh crap!I must be some kind of dumb-ash, but I've got Leki Super Malaku poles as well. I guess I can't make the top extender go all the way in. So I've got a 31.5 inch product I've got to pack if I can't make this work somehow! :cry: I'll try my neighborhood outfitter, from whom I didn't buy the poles. :twisted:
jennymac

Post by jennymac »

Toddnick, I love your golf bag suggestion. My backup plan is my dad's WWII duffle. Still may be my solution!
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

jennymac wrote:Oh crap!I must be some kind of dumb-ash, but I've got Leki Super Malaku poles as well. I guess I can't make the top extender go all the way in. So I've got a 31.5 inch product I've got to pack if I can't make this work somehow! :cry: I'll try my neighborhood outfitter, from whom I didn't buy the poles. :twisted:
My poles are the Trail Malaku (or some name like that) so there might be a difference. Perhaps yours only collapse to 31-1/2 inches. (But if they do collapse to 25-1/2, it will give you a lot more flexibility in packing!)

Lyman
jennymac

Post by jennymac »

FYI: I called Leki customer service. You can actually pull the pole apart. Pull it out to full extension and then give a good hard yank. I made the woman stay on the phone with me while I did so. Seems the minimum length that the Super Makalu collapses has changed over the past 5 years from about 32inches to 28inches. My problem is solved! :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
Now on to the rest of my packing angst. Packingyangst. Should be in the dictionary.
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by Selkie »

Hi Jennymac,
Looks like you've got that problem solved. I've also got Makalus. I bundle the 3 parts of a pole together, wrap each end in newspaper, and secure the newspaper with rubber bands. That's to prevent any part of the poles from rupturing anything should bags be caught in conveyor belt contraption. I also try to protect the poles a bit in the bag by wrapping soft materials around them.

I got a duffel bag from a he-man online outfitter that I really like. I can fit my pack in it (put pack in duffel first, then pack the pack) and the duffel itself has basic backpack straps, so I simply heave the double backpack on my back. It's the standard top-loading army size and also has an outside zipper down the length of the back, which allows me to access the backpack proper w/o unloading everything.

If you have a question about what you may carry, either into the cabin or as checked luggage, it's best to call the airlines directly. Southwest, for example, does not allow a stove to be carried, period.

I've mailed hiking poles home. In 3 parts and wrapped in newspaper as described, they fit into USPS mailing tubes, one per tube. The tubes can then be taped together so that only one basic fee is paid.

Good luck! Have fun!
jennymac

Post by jennymac »

Selkie wrote:Hi Jennymac,
Looks like you've got that problem solved. I've also got Makalus. I bundle the 3 parts of a pole together, wrap each end in newspaper, and secure the newspaper with rubber bands. That's to prevent any part of the poles from rupturing anything should bags be caught in conveyor belt contraption. I also try to protect the poles a bit in the bag by wrapping soft materials around them.

I got a duffel bag from a he-man online outfitter that I really like. I can fit my pack in it (put pack in duffel first, then pack the pack) and the duffel itself has basic backpack straps, so I simply heave the double backpack on my back. It's the standard top-loading army size and also has an outside zipper down the length of the back, which allows me to access the backpack proper w/o unloading everything.

If you have a question about what you may carry, either into the cabin or as checked luggage, it's best to call the airlines directly. Southwest, for example, does not allow a stove to be carried, period.

I've mailed hiking poles home. In 3 parts and wrapped in newspaper as described, they fit into USPS mailing tubes, one per tube. The tubes can then be taped together so that only one basic fee is paid.

Good luck! Have fun!
thanks for the info, Selkie! Is there a reason to go ahead and pull the third part of the pole apart if the two pieces fit in your bag?
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by Selkie »

Hi, I generally take them apart on the theory that a shorter length offers less to break. It's also fine to know how to take apart and put back together the poles.
Whatever works for you will work.
Marjorie
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

I have a vague recollection that it is not recommended to take some brands of poles apart because they are susceptible to damage if separated. Does anyone know if that is true or is it a figment of my imagination? It seems to me that a sporting goods salesman told me that once but maybe he didn't know what he was talking about.

Lyman
jennymac

Post by jennymac »

llholmes1948 wrote:I have a vague recollection that it is not recommended to take some brands of poles apart because they are susceptible to damage if separated. Does anyone know if that is true or is it a figment of my imagination? It seems to me that a sporting goods salesman told me that once but maybe he didn't know what he was talking about.

Lyman
All I know is that Leki suggests disassembling their poles. I read it on their site before calling their cust. svc. I can only imagine it has to do with the current state of travel. Poles in suitcases. Limit liability. This is coming out of my neck, but that's what I'm calling it.
sue

Post by sue »

From what I remember reading on requirements for airlines, hiking poles were not allowed in carry on luggage. The last thing we wanted to do was have them confiscated and then have to shell out money for more! LOL!
We bought Komperdel hiking poles online 3 years ago and they collapse down very easily. Pack in checked luggage great! They have taken quite a beating on the trails, have held up extremely well and we absolutely love 'em!

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”