binoculars

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

sue
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

binoculars

Post by sue »

Hi all,

Never really thought about some binoculars cause didn't want the added weight to my day pack. Read the posts on the high power ones used by some of you guys...(I know NOTHING ) If I just want a pair that are lightweight and not really for viewing up super close, and since I know nothing about binoculars, would a pair of bushnell 8x21 power (7 oz,) fit my needs? Again, didn't even consider having a pair...thanks!

Sue
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Gender?: Male

Re: binoculars

Post by Hockey Ref »

I have a pair of Nikon 9x25 binoculars that weigh 11 ounces. Had 'em at least 20 years. I like them a lot, but perhaps they make them a few ounces lighter these days.
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by daveparker »

I have had a set of Brushnell 8x21 for years now and for a kick around set they work great, not to heavy and clear view and best of all they are not expensive.

Dave
cevans
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male

Post by cevans »

nice binocs,,,remember,,8 is the power,,and 21 is the size of the front of the lense which the larger the number the more light it lets in to the where the eye recepticle is. and also better for low light conditions. I have 8 x 21's as well, as an old pair of 8 x 30's. One other note,,the higher the power, the harder to hold steady,,
If you can conquer your fear, you can accomplish most anything.
Pocketlint

Post by Pocketlint »

I have some compact Nikon 8x25's I've had for 25 years. 12oz, but bombproof. They've fallen out of treestands a dozen times.

IMO...none of these compacts are much good in marginal light. All of them have small exit pupils. 8x25 = just over three. 25/8. 8x21's would be even smaller 2.8. The larger the exit pupil is...up to about 5mm, the brighter, and usually better, the image will be....assuming decent optics.... Over 5mm exit pupil is kinda wasted unles you got a mighty big eyeball. hehe!!

And that's why is no coincidence that binocs come like 7x35, 8x40, 10x50 . Those very popular combos all have exit pupils of about 5mm. :wink:

that's my opinion :)

pocketlint

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”