First Time Backpacking! - WOW!

Well, tell us how your trip went. We all want to hear about your special experience.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Kathy
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

First Time Backpacking! - WOW!

Post by Kathy »

OK....so how come no one ever told me how AWESOME backpacking is?!?! :) Talk about a fabulous trip - best trip yet, I'd say! One of the Glacier Gals who couldn't make last month's trip and I tried backpacking for the first time. We went on a 6 day trip with Glacier Wilderness Guides, 9/3 - 9/8, with a few day-hikes on either end. Our first full day in the Park (9/2) we went up Dragon's Tail (off the Hidden Lake Trail) - fun! Then....the backpacking fun began! We had an awesome route! Went in at Kintla to Upper Kintla to Boulder Pass to Lake Francis, backtracked a bit to Bowman and then out. PERFECT weather (not a cloud in the sky- - -day or night all 12 days!), super-fun hiking companions and a fabulously great, fun guide....who could ask for more?!?!?! Both Kintla and Upper Kintla were more beautiful than I could've imagined! (See Kintla Lake picture in Photography section.) And then to Boulder Pass...once we got into camp and set up, three of us summited Boulder Peak and played in the snow fields. And anyone who's camped at Boulder Pass will know what I mean when I say.....awesome pit toilet! :D What a view!! (That probably sounds weird to those who haven't been there - but dang! - the view from there makes ya want to take your time! :D ) And the weather was so great, a couple nights we just pulled our sleeping pads and sleeping bags out of the tent and slept out under the bajillion stars! And then to lay there and watch the nearly full moon rise over Boulder Peak! WOW! Then onto Lake Francis - incredible waterfall coming down into the lake.....even with the pesky deer who were after absolutely anything with salt (they even ate a huge hole in one of the guys tents to get his salty hiking socks!?!?) this was a fabulous spot too. And Bowman Lake....just as incredible. And then to finish up the trip with a favorite "down-day" of ours, our 'Tour of Waterfalls' (Sun Point to Baring Falls to St. Mary - didn't do Virginia like usual - people were getting hungry!) / then Shangra La - an easy off-trail little scamper off the Red Rock Falls trail with great views / and the very last day....a hike that's been on my list for quite a while, Dawson/Pitamakin loop - WOW! I think I've seen more Glacier beauty in this trip than I have over all the times I've been there! Yep, I think I might be hooked on backpacking...crap! - that means I have to go out and get new equipment. :wink: And PLEASE go to the "Photography" section and check out the picture of Kintla Lake I'll post - AMAZING!!!
Last edited by Kathy on Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
judyJudy
Donator
Donator

Post by judyJudy »

Kathy,
I am happy for you that you had an amazing time! Loved reading all of your descriptions. I am sure you must be planning your trip for next summer already. :lol: Or should I say trips?

Have fun with the new gear this year. My husband and his buddies are gearaholics! Its addicting. They make it easy with the constant evolution of lighter and better gear they seem to come out with each year!

Thanks for posting. It was a pleasure to read.
-Judy-
Kathy
Donator
Donator

Post by Kathy »

JudyJudy - yep, already excited for next year! I was relaying the experience to some of the rest of the Glacier Gals, and they said, "Sounds like we may be backpacking next year, huh?" - - Dang right! I just have to ease them in....maybe do just a 2 or 3 day with no elevation gain....like in Kintla back to Upper Kintla and back out. And maybe next year, our trips will overlap (or....just come with us!) and we'll see you on a trail.

dpratt - Yep - I'm HOOKED! REI - here I come!!! :D
Squilax

Post by Squilax »

Uh oh... Kathy sounds like another bp convert! Your photo of Kintla was breathtaking! I'm really glad to hear you had such a wonderful time. I sure hope our group does Glacier again next year!
balou44
Donator
Donator

Post by balou44 »

Kathy, the view from the pit at Stoney Indian Lake is a great one also.
Just make sure ya leave the door open. :shock: :wink: :wink:
Kathy
Donator
Donator

Now that one's on "the list"!

Post by Kathy »

Yeah....I've opened a door now with all new possibilities to explore! I've heard that Stoney Indian is really beautiful too! (the campsite AND the pit :wink: )....and so......even though trails are getting "crossed off" my "Wow! - Want to see THAT!" list.....more things keep getting added! (heavy sigh).....I guess that means I just have to keep continuing to go back! :D
Heff936
Donator
Donator

Post by Heff936 »

Kathy: I'm very happy to hear that you are a backpacking convert. I thought you'd love it, but you can never be certain before someone actaully straps on that pack and does it. Boulder Pass is one of the tougher climbs in the park so if you handled that with no problem, you'll be good for the rest of the park. The Kintla photo is great. That has sort of become our regular place to end trips and we love it. As a backpacking gearhead, feel free to ask me about recommendations for packs, boots, sleeping bags, tents...the whole nine yards. We've learned a lot over the years that has made our trips more comfortable and therefore more enjoyable.
Kathy
Donator
Donator

Uh oh.....

Post by Kathy »

Heff - - - - you asked for it!?!?!? :wink: I will DEFINITELY be seeking some advice especially regarding backpacks, cookware, water filters and favorite routes. (got the tent, sleeping bag and sleeping pad).

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement and enthusiasm - backpacking convert? - YES I AM!!!! :D (I'll still do some day-hiking stuff....but this backpacking thing has opened up a whole new arena!)
Heff936
Donator
Donator

Post by Heff936 »

Okay kathy, let's take it one item ata time. Starting with a backpack. With the exception of well-fitting boots, nothing is more important in backpacking then getting the right pack. I strongly suggest that you make this your biggest investment. A well made, high quality backpack can last for decades. You need first to decide how long you want to be in the backcountry. If you are like most of us, the trips tenmd to get longer over time. There is just something about being immersed for long periods in the wilderness. I would focus on women-specific designs. There are a number out there, but I suggest looking at Gregory and Osprey brands. Gregory packs have been considered among the very best for decades. Osprey is a more recent entrant, but I've heard nothing but good reviews. My wife has carried the Gregory expedition pack Petit Dru for more than 6 years. It is a top-of-the-line woman specific design. It is expensive, but is a proven performer and allows her to carry heavy weight comfortably. My wife adores her pack. I also carry a Gregory expedition pack that is still performing well 11 years after I bought it. If you are looking for a pack for week-long trips or longer, here are the packs I'd suggest you check out, including trying them on fully loaded.

Gregory: Petit Dru or Electra

Osprey: Ariel 75 and Ariel 90

The Gregory packs come in four sizes. I think the Osprey comes in 2 sizes. There you have my two cents! Have fun shopping!
Kathy
Donator
Donator

Thanks for the two cents!

Post by Kathy »

Thanks for the two cents, Heff! (I'll take all the "cents" I can get!) Now....the fun begins (again!). I get to research (with the "cents" I obtain here :D ), shop, try on, buy!!! It's gonna be a fun autumn/winter....and then, come spring/summer - - - it's off to the backcountry!
GuloGulo

Welcome to the world of backpacking

Post by GuloGulo »

Kathy

It's great hearing a new convert had a wonderful experience, especially the first time out. A good source for gear info and keeping it light is the Lightweight Backpacker. I get good info routinely from this site and I've been doing the backcountry thing for 40 yrs. By the way, I think the North Loop hike is the best in the Park and maybe the best I've ever done.
Put it on your list.

http://www.backpacking.net
dorf

Post by dorf »

Of course, you'll want to have all of your other gear purchased first so you'll know what size bag you'll need. And I can pretty much guarantee you that once you think you are set up you will find something better/lighter, throwing your entire plan out of whack. You have no idea what you're getting into! :D :?

Take your time, research, research, research and don't buy stuff just to buy stuff because you're excited.
So many mountains, so little time.
Kathy
Donator
Donator

I hear ya, Dorf!

Post by Kathy »

Yep - got the tent, sleeping bag and sleeping pad already....I liked the Kelty 5500 that we rented from GWG's (Glacier Wilderness Guides) - but.... yep, I've got 'bout 9 months to research, research, research, get opinions and try on/try out. There may be something out there that I'd like even more - - - and yes indeed, excitement is one thing but paying the mortgage AND being able to buy the right backpack/gear is another. :wink: And as far as having no idea what I've gotten into.....I think you're right on the mark with that one, Dorf!!! :wink: :D And everyone on this page has always been so helpful, I welcome any and all suggestions....just send me an e-mail or private message - thanks, all!!! :D
Heff936
Donator
Donator

Post by Heff936 »

More gear suggestions. For a backpacking stove and cookware, it depends on the kind of food you prepare in the backcountry. We have moved to dehydrated (Mountain House) food for all our dinners. We made this move a few years ago. First, it means all you have to do in terms of food prep. is boil water. This means less fuel to carry, no pot-cleaning, and it allows you to carry a very tiny stove that is great for boiling water, but not as great as the larger stoves when it comes to simmering. We've used the MSR Pocket Rocket for three years and could not be happier. It is tiny, weighs a couple of ounces and will boil a liter of water in 3 to 4 minutes. It uses the MSR Iso fuel canisters, which carry compressed gas rather than liquid fuel. One canister has lasted us at least 6 days with an average of three liters of water boiled per day. There are several other stoves that are very similar to the Pocket Rocket. The Jetboil system is also popular and worth considering. It has a built in pot. We use a 1.5 liter titanium pot.

For a water filter, consider the MSR MiniWorks. It pumps easier than other styles and the best features is that it is maintainable in the field. If the filter gets hard to pump you just pop out the filter, scrub with a little scouring pad and you're good to go. It does tend to clog fairly quick, but I guess that says it's getting the job done.

These are just suggestions to consider. You may fnd that other gear suites the way you want to travel, and eat in the backcountry. If you are anything like me, your search for gear will never be over. There will always be some tempting new gear that weighs a little less or works a little better. Isn't life grand!
19rainman

Water Filtration Device

Post by 19rainman »

I have the MSR Waterworks filter. I love it. Very reliable and it comes in at 1 lb 4 oz (or 14oz) can't remember. In any event, on my recent trip to Glacier my backpacking partner brought the SteriPen. For those that have never heard of this device it kills Germs, Cysts, etc. using light. Its weight is less than 7 oz, it is small and it worked perfectly.

If I were purchasing a filter this is the direction I would go in.

Return to “Trip Reports”