hiking boot woes

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Mindalynn
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

hiking boot woes

Post by Mindalynn »

So, I have been trying for the last three or four weeks to find a good pair of mid height hiking boots for our upcoming Glacier trip. I've tried on everything they've got at our local store (we don't have an REI or one of those bigger stores around here in IL, I guess because of the dearth of mountains?) I've also ordered and returned two pairs of boots online. I found at the local store that I was liking a pair of Merrell Chameleons http://www.rei.com/product/763941 but the 9's were too small and the 10's too big and the store didn't have any half sizes. So, I ordered the 9.5 from REI.com and they came today.

The right foot feels perfect. The left feels almost perfect, but my toes are a little squished together--I guess because my left foot is slightly bigger than my right. The toe box is just a little too narrow for me (on the left only). So my question is this:

Do you think they will stretch out a bit after wearing them and breaking them in? Or if my toes feel squished together now does that mean they always will and I should return them and go back to the drawing board?

I want them to work, because they don't rub me in the ankles like some other boots did, and they work well with my orthotics. Also, there's less than a month before I leave now and I'm getting worried that I won't have enough time to break in whatever boots I end with if I order online again.

What do you hiking experts think?
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Gender?: Male

Re: hiking boot woes

Post by Hockey Ref »

I'm really not a boot expert, but my guess is the ones you have won't stretch out. You could keep them and risk it, but you might end up miserable.

For what it's worth, I have a pair of Timberlands I like so much that I bought a second pair of the same model for when the first pair finally wear out. I recently started using the second, newer pair, and there was no break-in whatsoever. They felt as good and as broken in as the older pair that have hundreds of miles on them.
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
dorf
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by dorf »

Take your Merrel's to a real shoe store and ask them if they can stretch the offending shoe for you. I doubt the chameleon will stretch much, but if you had a second choice that was all-leather it could be done rather easily.

Your best bet would be to find an experienced cobbler who could modify the shoe for you.
So many mountains, so little time.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Most boots nowadays are made of synthetic materials. They usually do not stretch. I predict that if you buy those boots your larger foot will suffer. I'd suggest that you try fitting a boot to your larger foot and then compensate with different sock thicknesses for the smaller foot.

Also Asolo sells boots of different widths in addition to different sizes. You might try that line.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
sambieni
Donator
Donator

Post by sambieni »

I have Asolo's for 10 years or so now and love them. They replaced a prior pair that fell apart, bu were also comfy. My only complaint is I have only done 200 miles and they need resoling - earlier than I wuold have expected. still very comfy.

Really commended GOING to a camping store and trying on shoes and going up and down any stairs or anyhting they may have to simulate the up and down of hiking. If they aren't comfy in the store, don't bother. Not worth finding blisters later.
And break them in!
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by daveparker »

If the toe box is tight now, your not going to be happy after climbing up and down, after a day of down hill hiking, your foot is going to be very uncomfortable. You might give a good boot store a call, tell them what you have tried, and let them suggest a boot for you.

Dave
Mindalynn

Post by Mindalynn »

*Sigh* I think you all are right. Back to the drawing board it is. We really only have one store in town that has much of a selection of camping supplies and hiking boots, and I've tried on everything they have to offer. I'm going to be in St. Louis next week, though, so maybe I'll have time to stop by a better store then.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Definitely visit Recreational Equipment Inc. (REI) in St. Louis.
Opened in the summer of 2001, REI St. Louis is home to a friendly, knowledgeable staff and a great selection of quality outdoor gear and clothing. Come give our 24-foot climbing wall a go, check out our water filter test station and footwear test trail.

Note that they have a footwear test trail. That will include ups, downs, ramps and bumpy surfaces to help determine boot fit. They will also have well trained sales people to help with boot selection. REI stores usually have a very good selection of boots.

St. Louis REI
1703 S Brentwood Blvd
St. Louis, MO 63144
(314) 918-1004
Fax: (314) 962-5224

scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

i've got the same issue. my left foot is about a half size lareger than my right. years ago, i was buying an expensive pair of merrills in atlanta, (pre rei) and amazingly there was a guy there buying the same boots w/ the same issue but his right foot was larger! so we bought the boots and swapped. my feet have gotten a half size larger since so now i just buy to fit my larger foot. no big deal.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

scott-atl wrote:My left foot is about a half size lareger than my right.
Back in the day when Vasque made quality backpacking and mountaineering boots you could buy mismatched pairs. You would go to a store, pick the right and left boot you needed and just pay for one pair. The shop owner could return the other 2 half pairs to Vasque for replacement.

Does anyone know of a boot company or shop that will do this for customers? Sure would be nice even if there was a reasonable fee.
Mindalynn

Post by Mindalynn »

Wow, that would be great to have a store that would do that!
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by daveparker »

You might check with a Danner shoe store, they used to have that service available...
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

nordstrom will do it but they don't sell heavy duty boots.
Tara

Post by Tara »

I second the REI recommendation...I have always had very patient and knowledgeable sales people there. They love hiking too and they want you to be happy with what you buy. I second the recommendation to buy larger and then compensate with extra/thicker sock on the foot that has the boot that is a bit big. But talk to the REI guys and see what they think.

I ended up with Italian Zamberlin boots after a LONG REI visit. I would never have bought those online, I didn't know the name. But they are apparently highly regarded in Europe and wer the only ones that fit perfectly. After a year, I still LOVE them. I'm very glad my helpful REI salesperson found them for me.

Good luck!
anonwums

Post by anonwums »

I concur that if the shoes don't fit perfectly now, you're likely to be miserable later. Fortunately, there are quite a few stores in Saint Louis that could have what you want. If you're not familiar with the geography of Saint Louis, there are a bunch of stores concentrated in the Brentwood / Galleria area. These include REI (it's expensive, but the people there are really friendly and knowledgeable), Sports Authority (cheaper but the staff knows very little), DSW shoe warehouse (cheapest), and the entire Saint Louis Galleria (which isn't that big, but has a decent selection of shoe stores). If you're willing to drive a little farther west, you can head to the Alpine Shop, which is an independent REI-like store in Kirkwood (about a 15 minute drive from Brentwood).

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”