Emergency Signalling Device?

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

sambieni
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Emergency Signalling Device?

Post by sambieni »

I am reading over the backcounty guidelines issued by the park service and it lists a number of "TRIP ESSENTIALS" one should pack. One item is:

"Emergency Signalying Device"

Any idea what they mean? I don't intend to pack a Sat phone. And rarely hear of folks hiking with flare guns so I have no idea what is meant by this?

thanks.
distressbark

Re: Emergency Signalling Device?

Post by distressbark »

My guess would be they are simply recommending that you have some kind of mirror or reflective tool. Most compasses come equipped with mirrors that work as emergency signaling devices, so I believe that would be sufficient.
- anders

"And what do the birds say? All there is to say about a massacre, things like Poo-tee-weet?"
- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five
sambieni
Donator
Donator

Post by sambieni »

Cool. Thanks. Funny though - I always pack a compass and NEVER use it. I pretty much just stick to the trails whereever and fortunately never got in bad weather to find my way back, etc... Course, I also bring a whistle, so guess that helps.
Hockey Ref
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels

Post by Hockey Ref »

A whistle isn't a bad idea, either.
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
daveparker
Hiking With Angels
Hiking With Angels
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by daveparker »

I carry a whistle, a mirror and a cell phone, they all qualify as emergency signaling devices for the purpose of the parks rules, although, the cell phone most of the time does not work in most locations I frequent. One other thing I know many carry is the small air horn like is carried on boats.

Dave
Talusman
Donator
Donator

Post by Talusman »

The air horn is handy for when a football game spontaneously erupts in the back country :P
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

I carry a signal mirror in my first aid kit. It has several other uses besides signaling. Also carry a whistle.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
calicotraveler
Gender?: Female

Post by calicotraveler »

Find me Spot is another idea. However this is really just for emergencies and requires an annual supbscription. See link: http://www.findmespot.com/en/
The mountains are calling and I must go.
cody23

Post by cody23 »

I was thinking the same thing as Calico: Spot Beacon. Some of these allow you to send out an emergency signal. I think some also have an option of sending out a predetermined e-mail message to a specific e-mail address ("I'm okay").
calicotraveler
Gender?: Female

Post by calicotraveler »

Yes, exactly. We have the Find Me Spot and it does allow us to send an "I'm OK" message to predetermined people by email and it shows these people where we are on a Google Earth map. If we do get into trouble we can click on the "help" button.
The mountains are calling and I must go.
packlitefreezeatnight

Post by packlitefreezeatnight »

Working with alot of the Helo pilots out there, the best signalling device that is preferred is a signal mirror for daytime emergencies. Nightime, you cant go wrong with a small strobelight that are easily found at camping stores..Better off going with an LED type as they will last longer..Nothing worse than having to signal at nightime and finding out your batteries have died..lol
sambieni
Donator
Donator

Post by sambieni »

I jsut picked up a glow stick for $2 that is supposed to last for 12 hours. Its for emergency purposes. Hope nevern eed it, btu figured for the few ounces may be wise should somethign occur nighttime and my batteries run out.
packlitefreezeatnight

Post by packlitefreezeatnight »

sambieni wrote:I jsut picked up a glow stick for $2 that is supposed to last for 12 hours. Its for emergency purposes. Hope nevern eed it, btu figured for the few ounces may be wise should somethign occur nighttime and my batteries run out.
If this is all you have for a signalling device at night, a good technique is to attach about a four foot piece of paracord to the hole at the end of the glowstick. When you need to use the device, you swing the chemlite in rapid circles to create what we call a "buzzsaw". It is very visible for a great distance. Hope that helps

Jay
sambieni
Donator
Donator

Post by sambieni »

Great idea. Thanks. I have flash light too and can make a fire... beyond that not sure what else would take...
cevans
Donator
Donator

Post by cevans »

I carry a emergency whistle, mirror, and my petzel headlite, has a red, and white strobe on it. Good enough for emergencies, if you want, you can rent, the SPOT, which is a hand held coordinates sender to satelittes in case of emergencies, It also can send your position to your loved ones computer to google maps showing where your location is, Delorme is coming out in July with their hand held PN-60 married to the SPOT and I am guessing, gps and spot will cost maybe 600. If you search on the net tho, there are several companies that rent it,,send it to you, and you send it back when done. I wouldn't think its necessary in Glacier with all the traffic eventually on each trail, its not like your going cross country, but, if it makes you fell secure, do it.
If you can conquer your fear, you can accomplish most anything.

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”