Water Filters

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

NDjason
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Water Filters

Post by NDjason »

Still happy with the Hiker Pro. Although on the most recent trip, Paul and Tim were using the MSR mini-works and it worked great too. Personally, I like the straight in-and-out stroke of the Katadyn, but others like the MSR's pumping motion (and thus the mini-works), so I'd suggest giving them a try and seeing which motion feels easier on you.
~ jason
Pocketlint

Re: Water Filters

Post by Pocketlint »

The feature(s) I don't care for on my newer Hiker Pro are all those quick connect fittings on everything. I'm afraid I'll break and/or lose that stuff. The rest of the design is fine. I'd like to see the same basic design with the same in/out fittings that my old PUR filter has. Then you'd have both a simple filter and a lighter one.

All I need for my old PUR is the one intake hose with strainer. Nothing to lose or break except the little red caps for the outlet and inlet nipples....which are shrouded by the filter body...making it darn near impossible to break them. The intake and output nipples are different sizes so you can't screw up in and out.

I like my old PUR much better but the new Hiker Pro is 50% lighter. I still use my old PUR on dayhikes.

pocketlint :wink:

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”