Scaredy cat returns with a short trip report-thank u friends

Well, tell us how your trip went. We all want to hear about your special experience.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Mick
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Scaredy cat returns with a short trip report-thank u friends

Post by Mick »

Hi Anne,
Just got back from the park yesterday. Saw two huge forest fires, couple of bears, a moose and numerous mountain goats. My vertically challenged wife Liz and I made Siyeh Pass our first hike. We were warned at the info center about the narrow section but urged to at least hike up there and take a look. We came in through the Siyeh Bend side. Liz was not happy near the top when the trail got skinnier and the slope got more vertical. But we made it over the hump and I walked alongside of her on the ledge and kept her bumped up against the wall. Well-worth it because the descent was beautiful. I think there were three huge waterfalls in the distance. However, my toes were screaming for mercy after five miles of putting on the brakes downhill. Pretty windy throughout the hike, too. Much to my wife's chagrin, I held my harmonica out and let the wind play it for a few minutes on the trail. Had to keep removing my hat because of the gusts during the hike. As a result, I looked like a lobster from the neck up by the time we reached St. Mary's Lake and the hikers shuttle. Not a lot of shade once you clear the forest and it was hot all week there but a very pretty hike. Lyman's assessment of the ledge is very accurate.
Kudos to you for attempting that hose section of the Highline Trail!

Mick
wjlapier
Donator
Donator

Post by wjlapier »

Anne,
I know that feeling regarding the waterhose trail. For years I wouldn't take my family for fear one of them would fall off--my kids like to goof around too much. Well, last year we went and I will not do that until they are adults!! Too scary for me to think of what might could happen. The kids didn't think anything of it. In fact, I had to re-direct one who kept looking up and almost walking off the trail :shock:

Regarding Peigan and Siyeh. My son and I have done those and they are much easier on the joints than Dawson was. In fact, if you can do Dawson you can do Peigan easily. About the short distance on top of Siyeh Pass--a pic I think was mentioned earlier.

It's a small distance, but quite a drop down, so, blindfold and guildance would be best :)

Snowfields might be something to plan for if doing either trails. Bring some poles and take it easy. No exposure--just a bit slick at times.

I'm proud of anyone who attempts to conquer fear, especially at Glacier. You did well.

Bill
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

Bill,

Thanks very much for posting that photo. That is the spot at the top of the Siyeh Pass trail that I had mentioned in an earlier post as the only spot that I could recall that could possibly cause some trail phobia.

However as you mentioned it is a very short section and the drop is not a sheer drop as at the rimrock section of the highline trail.

You and your son must have hit the trail early because both times I have reached that section of the Siyeh trail it has been in the shadows!

In the two times I have done the Siyeh trail I have never encountered any snow on the trail itself. My hikes have been in late July and August.

I would like to take the ranger led hike on the Siyeh Pass trail sometime because although I have enjoyed the scenery on the trail very much, I am sure there are a number of matters concerning geological features, plant life, etc. which I have not understood or appreciated. Has anyone done the ranger led hike on Siyeh and if so how was it?

I do not recall that the downhill section between the Sexton Glacier spur trail jct. and Sunrift Gorge to be very interesting. I enjoyed the Siyeh Bend to Siyeh Pass round trip that my son and I did one afternoon in 2005 much better. I think we did this on our last day in the Park while my wife and daughter lazed around at the Lake at Apgar. I need to encourage them to join us for the Siyeh Pass hike next time!

Lyman

Return to “Trip Reports”