2024 Lottery Results

Are you a seasoned hiker, or just starting out? Let us know your questions or experience with the backcountry permit process.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

What's your date?

Poll ended at Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:34 pm

Week of March 21
20%
Week of March 28
10%
Week of April 4
10%
Week of April 11
10%
Week of April 18
5%
Week of April 25
10%
Unsuccessful
35%

Total votes: 20

FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: 2024 Lottery Results

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Ipasha Jen wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:59 pm I bow down to Teapot, the almighty permit queen!
This trip is going to be epic! Let’s gooooo!
Way to go guys!!! 👍👍

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
🧊🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Ipasha Jen
Gender?: Female

Post by Ipasha Jen »

I would love to hear more permit wins!?!
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

I got my permit this morning! It was definitely less stressful but still kind of stressful. I had the 7am MDT time slot so I could plan out my options the night before, but you never know if someone may grab a site on your itinerary before you can book it.

I got a mid August trip which I plan to make another try at Pyramid Peak. COS, GLH, GLH, COS, and HEL The hike out is kind of long but that's ok
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
orin
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by orin »

I had my chance at getting a permit today and did pretty well, 6 nights in the Belly River in late June and early July. Right after 3 nights at Granite Park. So things are shaping up pretty well. For me at least the lottery produced about the same outcome as last year without all the stress. Looking over what remains available a few days after the half way point of the lottery there is still some early and late availability and quite a few 1 and 2 night trips. But it would be difficult to put together something like the Northern Circle in late July or August at least without some walkup help.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

My date to reserve a backcountry trip has finally arrived but I have to wait until 3 pm. I've been watching the campsites disappear on rec dot Gov and very little is left if I want to do a longer 6-7 night trip. I'm in a quandary trying to decide whether I'll just skip Glacier again this year, take a less than desirable itinerary or take a less than desirable itinerary with the hope of modifying it later. Will probably choose the latter.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Probably a good call grabbing something. 👍. There will still be walkups available plus it’s amazing how things change as time goes too.

We ended up only grabbing 1 night at Gunsight Lake from our time slot for our group, although we are tacking it onto 3 nights at Sperry it’s still a win.

Good luck with your time slot!
🧊🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

Last year there were quite a few sites unused when I was there. Although rec.com showed no availability I think people just didn't show up for there permits and didn't cancel the reservation. On a six night trip last year only one camp was fully occupied. So I guess what I'm saying is there's still hope to getting something. Probably best to get something and try to modify it as some sites might become available later in the summer.
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Thanks for the suggestions Paul and FuzzySideDown. That's going to be my plan. I'm hoping to reserve a 4 night trip then switch sites if alternates become available or get a walkup when I pick up the permit.

I also have experienced no shows at campsites. Last August I was at Lake Francis. We managed to book that site after a cancellation. The night we camped there it was shown as being full but the second site was never used. On those instances when I terminated a permit early or cancelled outright I have always notifed the NPS that I did so. I wish others would do the same.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
NotAllAreLost

Post by NotAllAreLost »

FuzzySideDown wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:15 am Probably a good call grabbing something. 👍. There will still be walkups available plus it’s amazing how things change as time goes too.

We ended up only grabbing 1 night at Gunsight Lake from our time slot for our group, although we are tacking it onto 3 nights at Sperry it’s still a win.

Hey, have three nights at Gunsight, then a night at Sperry in the first week in September. My hope that picking up our permit on Saturday and having three nights later in the week at Gunsight will allow us the ability to swap out for Lake Ellen Wilson and a night at the Sperry Campground. Hoping that having Gunsight further along in the itinerary will allow the ability to grab the walk-ups unless someone has a longer itinerary that we do...
NotAllAreLost

Post by NotAllAreLost »

FuzzySideDown wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:15 am Probably a good call grabbing something. 👍. There will still be walkups available plus it’s amazing how things change as time goes too.

Interesting as you must have had a very popular time slot for your group as having a March 30th was much sooner that our April 19th. I spent the first few weeks looking at September and campsite holding tight, but then as other popular areas filled up, then the Gunsight, Lake Ellen Wilson, and Sperry Campgrounds started to disappear, but it took up until part way through April. I am really going after Labor Day and in the middle of the week which helped.
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

NotAllAreLost wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:25 pm
Interesting as you must have had a very popular time slot for your group as having a March 30th was much sooner that our April 19th. I spent the first few weeks looking at September and campsite holding tight, but then as other popular areas filled up, then the Gunsight, Lake Ellen Wilson, and Sperry Campgrounds started to disappear, but it took up until part way through April. I am really going after Labor Day and in the middle of the week which helped.
Ahh right on. We are going right on Labor Day I think… which made it pretty busy, plus we needed 2 sites to keep our awesome group together which probably made it a little more tricky. Then we’ll be at Sperry Chalet sept 3,4,5 I believe… if you are near there then, give us a shout.
🧊🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
NotAllAreLost

Post by NotAllAreLost »

FuzzySideDown wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:23 pm
Ahh right on. We are going right on Labor Day I think… which made it pretty busy, plus we needed 2 sites to keep our awesome group together which probably made it a little more tricky. Then we’ll be at Sperry Chalet sept 3,4,5 I believe… if you are near there then, give us a shout.
Our plan currently Granite Park Chalet on Sept 1st, Reynolds Creek Sept 2nd, GUN 3, 4, 5, then Sperry Chalet Sept 6th. If we are able to swap out GUN for ELL on the 4th, and Sperry on the 5th (or vice versa), will most likely meet up with you at Sperry. We are also going to try to get GRN campground as a walk up on Aug 30th if possible when we pick up our permit. If not, camping at Avalanche the night before heading to Granite Park Chalet on Sunday.
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

That sounds good! You never know, but I’d think you’ve got a shot at some if not all of those changes. Good luck and maybe we’ll see you at Sperry!👍
🧊🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Return to “Backcountry Permits”