Visiting Glacier in winter

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Visiting Glacier in winter

Post by Selkie »

The Park is a different world in winter.
Skiing and snowshoeing are available. This year it is pretty much do-it-yourself, though rentals are available.
Izaac Walton Inn is near Marias Pass on Rte 2. It offers groomed trails and, per its website, equipment rental.
In the past, pre-COVID, the Inn offered lessons, and some years there was a special event, a skiing weekend with bells and whistles, in February.
At Marias Pass, one can xc ski or snowshoe Autumn Creek Trail and connecting trails.

Glacier Guides is not offering guided backcountry ski trips this year but does have a page with some suggested routes and rental places:
https://glacierguides.com/plan-my-trip- ... r-edition/

For fast company, try Glacier Mountaineering Society.
(I do not find ranger-led snowshoe walks of an hour or so at Apgar, as in past years.)

:arrow:
Selkie
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Re: Visiting Glacier in winter

Post by Selkie »

Story from Distinctly Montana about David and Rebeccah Wilson, Many Glacier winter caretakers from 2014-15 winter through 2017-18 winter.
https://www.distinctlymontana.com/alone ... ble-hotels

I believe the Wilsons took down their original blog, though more photos from their time at MG can be found at various online sites (FB, sites that require registration).
orin
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by orin »

I've done a number of winter camping trips to Glacier over the years and stayed at Bowman Lake, Kintla Lake, Two Medicine and Avalanche among other places. Usually I snowshoe and pull a sled. It takes a fair amount of equipment and planning but it is a very quiet and beautiful time to be in the park. I'm beginning to think it may soon be the only time a backcountry permit will be easy to get.
paul
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male

Post by paul »

orin wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:52 pm I've done a number of winter camping trips to Glacier over the years and stayed at Bowman Lake, Kintla Lake, Two Medicine and Avalanche among other places. Usually I snowshoe and pull a sled. It takes a fair amount of equipment and planning but it is a very quiet and beautiful time to be in the park. I'm beginning to think it may soon be the only time a backcountry permit will be easy to get.
I always wanted to camp at Bowman lake during the winter. I'm sure it is challenges but it would have great rewards too.
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir

Return to “General Glacier Discussion”