Removing mildew from a tent

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Removing mildew from a tent

Post by llholmes1948 »

I would like to try to revive my two person Moss Tent that I purchased at their factory around 1976. It was a great tent and I used it for my trip to Glacier in 1977 but unfortunately in the early 1980s it was put away without being properly dried and it now reeks of a bad mildew odor. I brought the tent down from the attic recently and would like to try to revive it especially since the kids have now left home and I really don't need to drag around a 4-6 person tent if I can help it. I don't really care if the stains do not come out but I would like to get rid of the mildew odor if possible and start using the tent again. I checked various sites online about removing mildew from a tent and I understand that soaking the tent in an enzyme such as MiraZyme is the thing to do.

If anyone has any experience with this and has any advice (hopefully other than burning the tent), please let me know.

Thanks,
Lyman
trevbo
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Removing mildew from a tent

Post by trevbo »

I got a bit of mould on one of my tents when I put it away still damp. Only discovered weeks later... I just set it the tent up on my back porch on a hot day in the shade and wiped off agressively with wet wipes and sprayed down with Lysol. Can still see some spots in the nylon but no smell.

If the mildew odor is quite bad... Bathtub soak with Myrazime by Mcnett will help get out any smell then wash with mild detergent or nikwax tech wash then setup to dry. See https://www.mcnett.com/gearaid/blog/how ... tent-odors
scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

Can't be done. Toss it.
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by llholmes1948 »

Thanks for the advice. I think I will try Trevbo's suggestion before Scott's and see what happens. I have used some of these enzymes in the past and they are quite impressive.

Lyman

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”