General Lodging information.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Lake McDonald Lodge Centennial

Post by llholmes1948 »

Link to an article in the Great Falls Tribune. Nice to see that two chatters contributed to the article:

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/story/ ... /10102585/
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Re: Lake McDonald Lodge Centennial

Post by llholmes1948 »

And an article in the Hungry Horse News:

http://www.flatheadnewsgroup.com/hungry ... f887a.html
pitamakan
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by pitamakan »

Though I think Lyman and I are the only Lake McDonald groupies here, in case anyone's interested here's a link to the article in the Daily InterLake:

http://www.dailyinterlake.com/members/h ... f887a.html
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

pitamakan wrote:Though I think Lyman and I are the only Lake McDonald groupies here, in case anyone's interested here's a link to the article in the Daily InterLake:

http://www.dailyinterlake.com/members/h ... f887a.html
Mark,

I think there are a couple of other people on the Chat who are former employees at Lake McDonald but some haven't been active lately. I know one person who is active on the Chat often visited Lake McDonald in the 1970s and although I don't think he ever worked at the hotel, he married one of the coffee shop employees so that is probably close enough.

I enjoyed that article very much and thanks for sharing your great knowledge of our beloved Lake McDonald Lodge.

Lyman
pitamakan

Post by pitamakan »

Thanks, Lyman.

I'm at Lake McDonald this weekend, helping with the celebration of the lodge's centennial, and it's been a great event so far. The auditorium was standing room only for the afternoon's presentations, and everyone had a fine time. Here's to the next hundred years!

Mark
Stmarypete
Donator
Donator

Post by Stmarypete »

Cheers!
pitamakan

Post by pitamakan »

llholmes1948 wrote: I know one person who is active on the Chat often visited Lake McDonald in the 1970s and although I don't think he ever worked at the hotel, he married one of the coffee shop employees so that is probably close enough.
I had dinner with them tonight! Great folks.
rjm

Post by rjm »

llholmes48: i met a LMcD coffee shop hostes in '74, married in '76, we been coming back ever since. If you're thinking of me i'm impressed and envious of your memory
pitamakin: It was a great today, nice program, good speakers, you had some great anecdotes and stories, good dinner with you. How did we get to be raisins? Thanks!
pitamakan

Post by pitamakan »

rjm wrote: pitamakin: It was a great today, nice program, good speakers, you had some great anecdotes and stories, good dinner with you. How did we get to be raisins? Thanks!
Hey, raisin-ness is a state of mind ... and I'm pretty certain neither one of us is ever going to be a raisin. :)

One of these years, we'll have to prove it by going on a long, obscure Glacier hike. Take care, and thanks again!

Mark
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

rjm wrote:llholmes48: i met a LMcD coffee shop hostes in '74, married in '76, we been coming back ever since. If you're thinking of me i'm impressed and envious of your memory
rjm,

It really wasn't my memory. I had just saved one of your messages to me from several years ago. Glad the Centennial went well and I am impressed that you made it back for it as it is not prime hiking time in Glacier.

We will be there in July. Hope there is some cake left.

Lyman
Calgary Ray

Post by Calgary Ray »

It was definitely a great day at Lake McDonald Lodge, despite the rain.

Pitimakan's talk was a hoot and dinner with him, rjm and his wife was a wonderful cap to the day's events.

I got soaked helping NPS archivist Deirdre Shaw do walking tours of the hotel. Pitimakan seemed to have a proper rain-proof coat, but I'd expect no less of an avid hiker.

Too bad you couldn't have been there, Lyman.
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Post by llholmes1948 »

Calgary Ray wrote:It was definitely a great day at Lake McDonald Lodge, despite the rain.

Pitimakan's talk was a hoot and dinner with him, rjm and his wife was a wonderful cap to the day's events.

I got soaked helping NPS archivist Deirdre Shaw do walking tours of the hotel. Pitimakan seemed to have a proper rain-proof coat, but I'd expect no less of an avid hiker.

Too bad you couldn't have been there, Lyman.
Well I was certainly there in spirit and I will be there in person next month. It was nice that you were able to get together for dinner and that must have been great fun.

Too bad about the rain but that is certainly not unexpected in Glacier in June. The first week that I arrived at Lake McDonald in mid-June 1970 it seemed like it rained all week.

And Ray, thanks for all that you have done to research and write about the history of the Park's hotels and chalets.

Lyman
twohappykampers
Gender?: Female

Post by twohappykampers »

We'd been camping in Glacier every year since 1988, and then five years ago we were forced to give up camping ( we can thank cancer for that) and move into the warmth and comfort of Lake McDonald Lodge and Cabins. Can't say we're disappointed at all. We've just returned from spending two and a half great weeks there and look forward to next years visit......and hubby is especially looking forward to those Huckelberry Smash drinks!!!!!! :arrow:

For any of you ladies who will be going to Lake McDonald Lodge who would like to take a piece of Glacier home be sure to visit the gift shop and check out the silver jewelry local artist Kris Kramer designed "just" for Glacier. :D
Ken & Mary Ann
Life's a mountain, not a beach!

Return to “Lodging”