Osprey Manta 25 daypack

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Pocketlint

Osprey Manta 25 daypack

Post by Pocketlint »

Hey everyone!!

I just thought I'd give this little daypack a review.

I bought this on sale at REI. After getting stuck a couple times on the Shangri La hike, I decided to get something with a narrower profile for that sort of thing.

I decided to try it out on Angelwing even though one doesn't need a narrow pack for Angelwing. No scrambling necessary.

Anyway, it's a nice little pack for any dayhiking . I bought it based on a review by a "tall" guy like me. He said it fit him better any daypack he'd tried so far. So I gave it a go since REI had it on sale. You can get all the technical specs on line here

http://www.rei.com/product/796762

It is a 25liter(~1500in3) pack. I do like the way it fits my long frame. And the nalgene water bladder is a real plus for me. Water tastes so much better than my camelback...which i now hate :)

Plenty of room for basic gear in main pocket. I had room my raincoat, extra socks, thermal shirt, and my fleece hat. Small top pocket had bandaids, Moleskin/blister care stuff.

One side pocket for my water filter, the other side pocket for snacks and food not immediately needed.

Left spandex pocket held a 16oz nalgene bottle for filter use if needed. The other spandex pocket held snacks I could reach.

Left hipbelt pocket for my glasses case. Right hipbelt had flashlight, my trusty Silva Type 15 compass/mirror, knife, matches in waterproof case, and of course ducttape.

I filled the 3 liter water rez just to get it weighted well.

This pack felt really good on me when strapped down and cinched up. Weight was about 13lbs loaded. It rides without any movement at all...a good thing. No stress at all on my shoulders. The water tastes GOOD from that Nalgene reservoir, not that "plastic" taste that my old camelback has( the newer camelbacks may be better..dunno).

I was skepital of the bungies for carrying my trekking poles, but that system worked well. The poles stayed put underneath my arm. I REALLY liked that feature. No need to remove pack to get your pole(s) out. And stow on the go :)

I'd like the waist belt to be wider with a standard size buckle. It'd be worth the weight gain imo. It'd be easier to manipulate in cold with gloves on. It'd also be nice for a place for a bear cannister holster to attach to. I prefer my bear spray on my left strap. Maybe cause that's where I've had it mostly....on my old Kelty Redwing. I like being able to have it handy. I'm just not happy having it on my waist.

All in all I think this pack was well worth the ~$103.00 I paid for it.

pocketlint

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”