Rain Gear

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

ND Sol
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Rain Gear

Post by ND Sol »

Looks like that Marmot jacket is getting close to eVent in terms of breathability at a light weight:

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/5973
sambieni
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by sambieni »

I just picked this up:

http://www.altrec.com/marmot/mens-minim ... erralID=NA

Marmot Minimalist. It normally runs for $200, but I was able to find one at discount with a promo coupon for $126 including Free Shipping! Damn fine deal! :arrow:

It seems a bit heavier since its Gore Tex, but can be used for winter use, plus given Glacier conditions changing at anytime, I figured it was too good to pass up.

I have a Marmot Pre Clip that is about 5 years old - I may still bring it along for light rains, but it really is washed out and doesn't hold up to serious (well, any) rain anymore. Also will use to replace a Marmot winter shell I have from 12 years back that is not in great shape and has had a malfunctioning hood since the day I bought it.

Pairing this jacket with REI Elements pants I have used only a few times and I should stay nice and dry. :D
tjholyoke

Post by tjholyoke »

We love our Thunderhead raingear from Eastern Mountain Sports. They have both a mens' and womens' version, jacket and pants. Really lightweight, pit zips, and not too horribly expensive. Here is a link to the site. This gets you to the womens' jacket, you can search for pants and for the mens' version.
http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3645717
risingwolf

Post by risingwolf »

Greetings,
One word I have not heard mentioned is Hypothermia. When you are working hard on trail the temp can be in the 30's and you are fine, but as soon as you stop your body starts to cool. Wet brush alone will soak you from above the waist down into your boots. If you get wet and cold in low temps with just a little wind you will start to shiver when not active. I always carry lite weight rain gear and lite weight gaitors. I ventilate as best I can with pit zips etc.. to reduce the sauna effect which I find drier than rainwet. And when your in camp that is not an issue.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

risingwolf wrote:Greetings,
One word I have not heard mentioned is Hypothermia. When you are working hard on trail the temp can be in the 30's and you are fine, but as soon as you stop your body starts to cool. Wet brush alone will soak you from above the waist down into your boots. If you get wet and cold in low temps with just a little wind you will start to shiver when not active. I always carry lite weight rain gear and lite weight gaitors. I ventilate as best I can with pit zips etc.. to reduce the sauna effect which I find drier than rainwet. And when your in camp that is not an issue.
Good point. If it was wet and cool while I was hiking I'd want to put on warm dry clothes when I got to camp. To keep these items dry in my pack I carry a good large waterproof pack cover for rainy days. I always keep my clothing items in Zip Loc bags inside a waterproof stuff sack. I learned that lesson with a good friend of mine on Kinnerly Peak long ago :shock:
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
Marmotman

Post by Marmotman »

My rain jacket (REI on sale $50) is mandatory mainly because I use it for warmth (shell over my down vest) and wind protection also. If it's raining, you WILL get wet no matter what. If its wet outside the jacket, it will be wet inside also. There's no place for the sweat to go. To combat the wet make sure to keep the polypro or wool and get rid of the cotton. I have rainproof pants also but hardly ever bring them. My nylon hiking pants work just fine whether wet or dry but the key is they DRY out quick.
Apikuni
Donator
Donator

Post by Apikuni »

Wow this post is looooonnnngg :shock: k heres my solution. I keep everything in my pack dry. I have waterproof Asolo boots with gaters. I wear swim shorts and a long sleeve polypro shirt or NO shirt at all and a thin beanie with a goretex rain hat. Its awesome, my feet are dry..my pack is dry..and my head is dry..thats it. When I get to camp I have a nice warm fleece layer and top it with my goretex jacket and pants. Trust me it doesnt matter how good the tech, you will fill your suit with sweat.

This is late spring and summer in Glacier I'm talking about of course and not every storm, but the majority of the wet 50's slogs thru the park.

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”