New backpack!

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

Tara
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: New backpack!

Post by Tara »

Farmgirl wrote:
debbyn wrote:Tara- where'd ya get that? I will need something like that for our day hike to Comeau Pass and Sperry Glacier the day we are staying at Sperry. I've been racking my brain, trying to think what we would carry since its about 5 miles round trip,pretty strenuous and we don't want to bring day packs in our back packs and we don't want to have to hike that with our big backpacks.
Looky here...
http://www.rei.com/product/778466
That's it! I got the last one the Bloomington store had in stock. Not the ideal daypack of course but it will serve it's purpose I think. It weighs nothing
sambieni
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male

Post by sambieni »

Curious for any pack advice out there...

I have an Arc'Teryx Bora 95. I LOVE it, but it is a MONSTER (I got bad advice when buying on size I need). Its about 5600 cubic inches. I am looking to downgrade for me 5 day trip this summer to Glacier.

Debating the:

Arc'Teryx Astral 65 or 75
and
Osprey Aether 70.

I doubt I will ever do more than 4-5 night trips moving forward in life, but possible and seeing as how my wife's pack is 4200 cubic inches, I envision I will be doing a ibt double duty carrying some stuff on occassion. 70 seems right size, 65 fearing too small, 75 possibly too big. Although I prefer Arc'Teryx to Osprey simply cause I am used to it.

I guess I am curious what folks think about pack size for week-long trips?
Heff936
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by Heff936 »

I'd suggest that you compare the Osprey Aether 70 and the Gregory Baltoro 70. You can't go wrong on the quality for either, but just try them both on and see which feels the best to you. I've never shouldered an ArcT pack so I don't know about the Astral.

Good packing.

Heff
In Vino Veritas, In Cerevisia Felicitas
In Wine Truth, In Beer Happiness
ND Sol
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by ND Sol »

Different packs fit different people differently. So while a Gregory may be perfect for one person, it may not work at all for another.

Until I bought my McHale pack five years ago, I used an Osprey Aether 60 for my trips of up to a week plus a 500 ci (about 8L) integrated pocket. In fact, in 2004 I used the Osprey for a week in Glacier. I carried everything I needed as we didn't share any equipment (e.g. separate tents, stoves, cookware, filter).

But the size that you need will depend on the equipment that you carry. My McHale is about 74L since I wanted to have the ability to have a little more room in the bag without a weight penalty. Since the McHale has bayonets, I can collapse the bag to a much smaller size that I use on summit days.
Marmotman
Gender?: Male

Post by Marmotman »

I got an Osprey Aether 85 two summers ago and LOVE it. I chose the 85 only because I like to take my float tube, fins, and waders along on some trips (adds 10 lbs) and need the extra space. The 70 Liter would be more than adequate for "normal" trips though. I like the Aether due to its weight and is very comfortable.

Return to “Backpacking Gear and Such”