General site updates

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: General site updates coming

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Hey gang....

Posting inline YouTube videos in post is now available. You just need to paste in the YouTube url in, and you are good to go...

A quick note to Tibber or anyone interested in the idea of a "like" button or something similar... I've done some looking, and found some possible plugin/extension options for that, though it kinda looks like all of them are not actively supported, or so it appears. Hopefully I'm wrong on that.... I'll look more closely as time goes. If anyone is aware of a good option that is actively supported, please let me know...

Thanks gang!
Cheers!

Kyle...
🧊🐥🐥
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

Thanks for making all the changes. It's a real shot in the arm for the site.

Just a comment on photos that are inline in a post. The limits are 1 mg (big) and 5 images per post (small). 700 pixel photos (kinda small) are roughly 200 kb per photo (and less), but even 1000 pixel photos (good size) are 350 kb (or less). But, I'd argue 5 images for a trip report is limiting. If the idea is a storage limit, how about a 500-600 kb (1200 pixel) limit and 8-10 images. (I'd rather see more images but splitting up a report is not a big deal.)

Just a low priority idea.

Thanks.
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

Huge thanks again Kyle, looking good!

Some other low priority items/questions:
I am bumping into some BBCode capability issues. Specifically, ones that are not working that I understood would be are [hr] , , and
 .  I'm guessing [table] doesn't work either.

Here are a couple references that I was able to dig up (the FAQ link above says use guide from the posting page ... not seeing it).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBCode
https://www.proboards.com/forum-help-guide/bbcode
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Excellent feedback Jay and Zozeppelin. 👍. Thanks guys.

Jay, that’s good stuff… I admit, I wasn’t quite sure where to start, so I took its default values I think. LOL! I’ll check in to changing the size and count limits to 500kb and 10 count and see how that goes. We can always adjust again if needed. 👍 UPDATE DONE

Zo, thanks for mentioning the BBcodes. I have a tendency to rarely use them. Kinda out of site, out of mind for me I think. Yea. I’ll do some checking into those and see what I find. I’m not sure why I don’t think of them.

Thanks guys!
Cheers!!

Kyle.
🧊🐥🐥
zozeppelin
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Post by zozeppelin »

All good Kyle, I’m not a proponent of them either, it’s just what is available. Would much prefer html.

Background is that I’m trying to recreate the trail status website and a direct conversion is not possible (BBcode only has a subset of html elements, and some of those don’t appear functional here).
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Hey Zozeppelin..... I just added the whole package of BBcodes from Advanced BBcode Box. There's a whole bunch there.... Strangely it didn't have an HR one, so that got added manually. Check that out, and see what you think of those new options.

Cheers!

Kyle....
🧊🐥🐥
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Hey gang....

This is in reference to the idea of a "like" button.... I did find an extension that's supported that's very similar... It’s technically a "thank" button, but it accomplishes the same thing... It keeps track of how many people you have thanked and how many times you have been thanked and lets you know who all has thanked a given post.... There's a "thumb's up" icon on each post that is not yours if you wanted to give it a try....

Thanks gang!
Cheers!

Kyle....
🧊🐥🐥
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

Kyle,
I've been away down in the southwest for a while. Returned to see all the changes and additions. THANKS for taking this on. It's looking really Great.
Is there a Donate button on this site?
Ralph
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Hey, Thanks Ralph. Welcome back from the southwest...I'm glad it's coming together here. At the moment, no, there is not a donate button. I'll do some looking into that though as that may help offset some costs overtime here for those in a position to do so while still being under no obligation to do so either. Thanks for the suggestion Ralph. Much appreciated.

Just spitballing some other thoughts here, I was thinking I would kind of like to eventually see about having some Glacier Park Chat merchandise some day (if there's interest) as a way for people to support the site and get something back from it at the same time. And if it goes really well, perhaps do some giveaways of stuff and perhaps do a regional meetup or two if there's interest in some form if it's at all doable... Step 1 though is get the site rolling again and get the people back.

A big thanks to everyone who's still active. It's great to see that.
Cheers!

Kyle....
🧊🐥🐥
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

FuzzySideDown wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 8:17 am ...I was thinking I would kind of like to eventually see about having some Glacier Park Chat merchandise some day (if there's interest) as a way for people to support the site and get something back from it at the same time...
Kyle....
Dave Parker (in the wayback around 2007-2009, can't actually remember) set up a cafe press site where chatters could purchase "hoodies, hats, buttons, bumper stickers and other things." Seems like I had a hat and maybe a button on my pack at some time back then. It was a way for chatters to recognize other chatters while in the park. I looked for a post by daveparker on this but only found a post offering a banner. it is HERE
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Ahh right on... yea... I think something like that would be cool...
🧊🐥🐥
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Hey gang....

A quick update.... There is now a donation link available up at the top next to "quick links" in the header. You do need to be logged in to see it. You are under no obligation to use it, but it is there for those that would like to. A quick shout out to Ear Mountain for the suggestion. Thanks Ralph.... Let me now if you have any issues or questions with that.

Thanks gang!
Cheers!
Kyle....
🧊🐥🐥
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Hi gang. Updated the header banner up at the top with something a little more Glaciery. A view from the top of Scenic Point on the east side from when liketohike and I were there last year. 👍

Cheers!
Kyle.
🧊🐥🐥
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

FuzzySideDown wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 7:52 pm Hey gang....

A quick update.... There is now a donation link available up at the top next to "quick links" in the header. You do need to be logged in to see it. You are under no obligation to use it, but it is there for those that would like to. A quick shout out to Ear Mountain for the suggestion. Thanks Ralph.... Let me now if you have any issues or questions with that.

Thanks gang!
Cheers!
Kyle....
Donate button through PayPal worked fine.
Ralph
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Fantastic! Thanks Ralph! Much appreciated. 👍

Cheers!
Kyle.